26 March 2006

Comfortable? Uncomfortable?

More and more, it seems that I hear people express whether or not they are "comfortable" doing this or that. Just who guarantees that we are all on this earth to be "comfortable"?

In past years, I told more than one doctor out in the boonies what I thought he should do with a patient before shipping them down the road to me. This usually takes place in the middle of the night with the patient being gravely ill or injured. The doctor is at home, and the nurse from an outlying hospital has called him. He doesn't want to get up, take care that the patient is in as good shape that he can be, before transferring him. This used to be especially true with children who had been injured. Sometimes a blood transfusion begun before transfer can be the difference between life and death in a kid with a broken leg, etc.

Of course, this means that old sleepy head has to rise up, start the transfusion, actually see the patient, etc. Now, we are talking out in the boonies ERs here, not at University City ER. When I used to hear, "I'm not comfortable doing this or that". It didn't make a flying flip to me about the person's comfort. I let them know quickly that their level of comfort was way down my list of things about which to worry. If they had wanted comfort, then selling shoes or something would be right down their alley.

Just a thought on today's ideas put forth by many people, not just doctors.

No comments: