13 August 2006

Bonding???

A lot of people are heard to say something about two people "bonding". I have tried to pin some of them down about an exact definition without much success. The only definition I could find that comes close to what people must mean is "to have a close relationship based on shared feelings.

That is all well and good, but how does that apply to animals or babies? How can two adults bond if neither knows the other very well? Is bonding permanent? If not, how long does it last? Is it a one time thing? I just am clueless. Are those bonded automatically friends? Is there a difference in being bonded and being friends? Are there external signs of bonding?

I think this must be some sort of a Yankee thing. I hear it sometimes with just a hit of sarcasm in the background. I fear that one would have some degree of trouble on his hands if one proposed to "Bubba" that he and his friend Lester had bonded.

No comments: