03 March 2007

Swiss Tourism, Ladies' Panties, and Fred's Meds

Well, this has been an exciting week new-wise in CH. First and foremost, Switzerland has come out as the number one tourist competition country in the world (at least of the 124 countries surveyed by the World Economic Forum). This is in part due to considerations of security, transportation networks, tourism infrastructure, and overall industry health. This designation is not like winning a beauty contest, but it indicates those countries in which tourism development is most favorable.

Austria and Germany are the second and third in the list. Then come Iceland and the USA, as the top five. CH counts only 7.2 million tourist arrivals per year compared to 49.4 for the USA and 76.0 for France. One of the biggest complaints about CH from the survey was the high prices. France's position is in at least some part due to perceived attitudes against foreigners. Spain is a security worry, and in Italy, there is thought to be a lack of governmental support for tourism.

Now for some other good news. No, I didn't save a lot of money on my car insurance, but I did find out in the USA this trip, that my investment in Medicare's part D saves me some $$ on the few medications that I buy there. I just knew that someday, the government would take care of me.

Last, but certainly not the least, comes the news about the ladies' underwear, which I know that everyone has been anticipating. There is a bar club near the Pilatusplatz (near the center of "new town" in Luzern), that on Sundays between 8 PM and 4 AM will trade a bottle of Italian Champagne worth almost 100 CHF for a lady's panties. It seems that about 15-25 women trade their drawers for some bubbly each Sunday. The name of the bar is "Opera", although you don't have to sing. The head man of the Sociology Department at Luzern University thinks this is an embarrassing business idea, so I doubt you will run into him there.

No comments: