01 February 2010

The New American Football, Page Two

Some weeks ago, I wrote some observations about how American college football had changed in my perception over the years that I have seen it infrequently. Well, now the season is over. I had a lot of fun watching various teams from all over the USA play season and bowl games. The ESPN-360 was well worth it.

I like ESPN, but I wonder if they realize that their announcers and "color commentators" are often afflicted with the terminal "blathertosis". These guys are constantly yapping about something and not always about football either. I really do not care about which restaurant at which they ate last night. They often digress, and frequently sound like pitchmen for a given player or coach to the NFL. I wonder if they get a commission? Another thing; what is the deal with all these girls(mostly) running around on the sidelines with green bottles like cocktail waitresses? I understand the need for good hydration, but what happened to the table with cups of liquids on it? These players are big boys who ought to be able to get their own drinks. On another note,each broadcast team seems to have at least one female member who is on the sidelines. Now, I am all for equality in the workplace, but if I was a coach in a tight game, I would likely be unkind when one of these babes stuck a microphone in my face to ask an asinine question about how I felt.

I guess the modern locker room looks like a hospital now with x-ray machines, CT scanners, etc. Won't be long before there will an OR in it, so that arthroscopy can be done on shoulders and knees. Sometimes, the coaches look like they are going to stroke out also, so CT scans might be helpful for them.

Just a few last thoughts for this year....

2 comments:

John said...

You are spot on. But it's not just college football, it's EVERYTHING from news to sports. These "mouths" get paid to fiil every available nanosecond with blather; an endless bombardment of modulated vibrations, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Which is why my mut button gets such a workout. :-)

John in Newnan, GA, wishing he were your neighbor.

Anonymous said...

And just try and enjoy a blacketball game with Dickie Dago doing color. The all time worst.