13 June 2006

A Little of this and a Little of that


I finally got the new computer up and going. The old one died a short death last Thursday. It bugs me to be so dependent on a machine, but we were both lost without it for emails, finances, etc.

Hit the old Stop and Shop this AM. It is hard to find something to take home to prepare. It is all done for you. The best I could do was some turnip greens (they had these in a can too, must be a Yankee thing because I don't recall these in the South) and some ground beef for a meat loaf. I did get some ready to mix mashed potatoes too.

I also went out to the Newport Country Club to pick up some tickets to the US Women's Open Championship that begins there on 26 June. Boy! They have they spruced that place up, big time! I am a volunteer this year on the Admissions and Will Call committee. Two things really impress me about the event. They are VERY well organized, and they have motivated Newport to really make them welcome. No wonder at that though; they will bring in an extra 100,000 people over the week.

I saved the best for last. I went to the corner post office. The two workers that man the front desk are a real hoot. Both of them are "Rhodies" by speech, but they are also full blown conservatives. Here I thought that I was the only one in town. To hear them discuss topics from anti-histamines curing Multiple Sclerosis to what one lady does for a living is funny. They were all ears when I advised them that cobra venom was good for MS too.

I have a new (to me) cell phone at too good a deal to pass up, but the damn thing goes off several times a night with SMS messages from MY SPACE.com. I am sure that the last owner was either a pervert or else a "lady of the night".

No comments: