13 October 2006

Mrs. Levy

Sometimes, I wonder why stuff like this pops into my mind. For some unknown reason, the other night I thought of Mrs. Levy. She was in my life for a few minutes about 63 years ago. That's right 63 years ago when I was 4 years old.

I don't know if there was a Mr. Levy, but there must have been one at some time because Mrs. Levy had a son. I don't know the son's name, and I am sure that I never saw him. I do remember his mother as a nice lady who lived across the street and down about 3 houses from us.

Why do I remember Mrs. Levy? She was the lady who baked cookies for us neighborhood brats on the day she got word that her son had been killed in Germany while serving in WWII. I just remember her bringing cookies out the back door for us on that morning that she became a Gold Star Mother. I wonder what her thoughts were now, but then, I just knew that she baked good cookies and loved us kids.

I remember Gold Stars in the windows of homes where a son had died in WWII. I think that Mrs. Levy's star was a Star of David.

No comments: