12 May 2007

It's about Time

When I came to CH in 1977, you could have eaten off the curb or sidewalk in Zurich, the country's largest city. Now, you might not be able to do this in a small village. I used to say that if you saw a candy wrapper, etc. on a hiking trail that it meant a tourist had been by there. Now, I doubt the tourists are completely at fault. There are so many new people living here from countries where filth is the norm, that I suspect them. Also, the Swiss are not without guilt here. The younger generation has not been expected to do as they were taught and keep a clean country. In that first visit, I remember a sidewalk lecture given to a toddler by his father. The toddler's infraction? He had dropped a gum wrapper on the sidewalk. Besides the oral education, he learned to walk over to the refuse can and put his wrapper in it.

To see wrappers, fast food throw away, and drink containers along the road, train line, or hiking paths is now the norm. BUT LOOK OUT! The areas of Bern, Basel, Luzern, and others have instituted fines for littering. These range from 30-300 CHF, and in some places are due on the spot. That means cash or a visit to the police station. Cigarette butts, gum or wrappers, and other trash go into a can or remain in your backpack until you find a receptacle. I expect the smaller villages to be more stringent than other areas. One might want to be aware of this force against the "throw away society".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello 1st Cousin,
It me, David in Washington State USA.
It is late Saturday afternoon. Liz and I just returned from a recycling event that was set up at a bus park and ride lot. We took and old toilet, barbecue grill and a broken washing machine. They charged us $5 for the toilet and accepted the other two as scrap metal. It is remarkable the amount of junk that was there. I think it is a very good idea for these events to take place so these types of junk items don't end up in ditches along the sides of country roads.
Now, in response to your observation about people trashing our world.
When we moved to WA 34 years ago, there was very little trash along the sides of our highways and byways. Now it is everywhere. Companies and other organizations volunteer to take care of sections of roads or freeways and a sign is posted saying the "ABC" company is working to keep this area cleared of trash. Very nice. But, there is no way they can keep up with the people who just throw anything and everything out of their vehicles.
People who flick lit cigarettes out of their car windows are the worst of offenders, in my opinion. I was behind a woman driver not long ago, she was in a nice car, she had a lot of sparkly jewelry on her left handand wrist--I could see it when she rolled down her automatic window, stuck her arm out-- and then she just flicked her cigarette away from her car. I thought "Oh my God" the poor woman's very expensive car must not have an ash tray in it and I could only imagine how her house must look with all the cigarette butts littering her floors, not to mention the burn marks.
I was so ticked off by her action that I called "911" and asked if they would take her license number from me and mail her a ticket. No was the answer. A law enforcement officer has to observe the "flicker" in order to give them a "flicking" ticket. So I did the second thing I thought of, I said a very special prayer for her. God said "NO". At least I didn't follow through on the fantasy that came to my mind and ram into the back end of her car, pull her out, and make her go limping, bleeding, and out of breath(smoking you know) into oncoming traffic to pick up her butt.
Please don't think of me as sexist because this story is about a woman. I have had equally brutal thought about "flicking" men also. With them my fantasy usually involves my car becoming a tank, then I blow up their car and then crush it under the tank.
I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for women "flickers".
Best wishes to you from your loving younger first cousin.
David

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred,

I guess I'm getting dislexic as I read the top line as a "compost", not composite. In a way, I guess it's a bit correct. I do enjoy your ramblings, and having seen Barb's video on Normandy as well as her pics from Snapfish, I enjoyed your musings about the trip even more.

We had such a great time with you in Sachseln. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Thanks for everything. Love, L and J
P.S. We're back in the desert. It sure aint' Die Schweiz. You live in heaven.