05 July 2007

Is this as It Is Supposed to Be?

I saw Big Al (Al Gore) on TV twice this AM. Once on a liberal branch of the media and once on a conservative network. He is not one of my favorite politicians, as few are these days. In fact, I am hard pressed to vote for anyone right now. I am a Tennessean by birth, but Al isn't one of us, as far as I am concerned. His father, on the other hand, was a tolerable liberal.

My point is this. The first question out of each interviewer's mouth today was about Gore's son who was caught with a DUI and drugs in his car yesterday. What the *(%$# does this have to do with politics, global warming, or anything in the public sphere? My answer is nothing at all. What do John Edwards' wife's breasts have to do with anything outside her family? Same answer from me.

We all put our pants on one leg at a time. If we are parents, we all are subject to worry about the whims of our adult children. Big Al's son is 24 years old!! Having seen other similar situations, I know that what adult children do with their lives are not under parental control and are largely a matter of the Grace of God or something else aside from our responsibility.

The networks are out of control and need to be censured in the most effective way. That way is to bring down the wrath of God around those who pay for the airtime to advertise. If this is censorship (I doubt this), then it is as it should be. Freedom of speech does not allow one to yell Fire" in a crowded place just for the hell of it. The media needs to be held accountable for their actions. This kind of interview has no value.

No comments: