24 July 2007

The USA Summer

Our summer trip to the USA in RI is about to end. We are always ambivalent about going “home” to CH. It, as always, has been a busy time.

Children and grandchildren all like to come to Newport, and we are always ready to see these precious people in our lives. It is always a joy to see these kids and grandkids and to hear how their lives are changing. We get to experience the 24/7 aspects of the USA. We have fun buying and cooking the foods that are not common fare in CH. Just yesterday, I cooked a big “mess” of turnip greens. Before we leave, I am going to use my new Dutch oven pot to fix some crayfish/alligator etoufee. I wish that I could get that pot back to CH, but it is too heavy.

This year, we traveled to my old hometown of Jackson, Tennessee to be at my high school’s 50th class reunion. That was a real hoot for both of us. It did use up four days of our Newport time though. Another exciting event for us was a trip to Boston to see the Red Sox play in Fenway Park. That is always an event. We enjoyed a concert one night in Providence and visits with USA friends here that we often see in CH.

I continue to find Rhode Islanders very unique people. The traffic courtesy is still here even though our rental car has NY plates. The condo is as nice as it is always, but there are also the usual things to do to keep it up. We are fortunate to have a lovely lady retired navy captain to live in it for us this year, so that is one less thing to worry us. I want to get back to CH to see how our plants are doing, meet old friends, and get the German papers to brush up. Of course, Barbara has her students, the bridge club, and the international ladies club on which to check.

We are indeed fortunate people.

No comments: