07 January 2006

Now, I like flying with this guy!

During our recent USA sojurn, we had occasion to fly from Atlanta (ATL) to Huntsville, AL (HSV). We pushed back from the gate as darkness fell, but we didn't even get to the runway. The captain announced that the #2 engine wouldn't start. For those of you not in the know, planes run one engine at the gate until pushback to save fuel. Anyway, we just got a push over to an adjacent gate where we parked. Again, the captain announced that there was a valve problem in the engine, that it could be fixed, and that a mechanic was on the way with a new valve. I was in an ideal seat to watch this take place. It took just a few minutes. Then, the engine failed to start, or at least the instument in the cockpit showed no start. This led to a search for a new switch for the cockpit instrument. All along, this information was relayed to us by the pilot, who had by this time, exited the cockpit to stand in the gangway using the microphone that the flight attendents use to show seatbelt use, etc. The captain throughout kept an optimistic tone in his relay of what was going on. After an hour or so, the switch was found, it was in position, and we were OK to go. The best part was the pilot's last announcement. I quote, "Folks, I have some great news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance." That got a big laugh, and if anyone was nervous (I didn't see anyone that looked nervous.), it broke the spell. Then he announced that we were off, and we got to HSV without incident.

Actually, HSV is an end airport, so no one was concerned about missed connections, and we were to meet other people there who were coming on a later flight. That worked fine for us. My point is this: This was a Delta Airlines flight, they ( like most other US airlines, are in bankruptcy ), it was going to an airport with no connecting flights, and was flown by a guy who should have been a diplomat. I liked the hell out of that! Delta is likely bankrupt because some business school graduate(s) had his head up the wrong part of his anatomy. The people who work for Delta otherwise are still able to do a good job while not knowing where they will be next year. The pilot was concerned about us first, then the company second. I am sure that he was concerned about his own position and that taking off with a running engine but a malfunctioning cockpit indicator was a big no-no, but he didn't give that impression at all.

While on this rant, I want to say a word about women pilots. Again on Delta some years ago, I had occasion to know that the pilot was female. I knew this because, I had seen her before I boarded, reading the riot act out to a ground personel about something. It was to the effect of, "You get that job fixed like I want it, or this plane stays right here on the ground". For some reason (maybe because she reminded me of what I used to hear from my mother), I have always liked the idea of a lady pilot.

No comments: