11 February 2006

The Olympic Games Begin

The events started Saturday about 5 AM Eastern Time. It was 11 AM here. One of the CH channels carries it pretty much in full. The Swiss concentrate on the events in which they have hope for a good performance by their athletes naturally. The real beauty is that here it is ILLEGAL for a station to have a commercial break unless the program is 90 minutes or longer. After 2.5 hours, I am still waiting for one to happen. That's why being in front of the tube is better than being there in person.

In person, I don't think I would be too happy. In addition to the prices, nearly all events are between 60 and 120 minutes away from the city. One travels by bus and should be at an event 2 hours before it begins. Not for me. Guess others feel differently. If I had a kid in it, I suppose I would make the effort. Otherwise, no.

Anyway, in the first few days there have been some surprises, good or bad, depending on your slant. I personally think that all the Olympians are gold medalists.

No comments: