14 February 2006

Signs of the Times

Oh Boy! What else can happen? The VP shoots his hunting buddy, and to make matters worse, he doesn't have a bird stamp on his license. What fodder for the media.

Seriously, I hope neither the shooter or the shootee gets Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. PSTD seems to be the poster child cause for litigation these days. What a crock! Haven't we all had it at one time or another? My first episode was after my mother, against her better judgment, let me go with some older neighborhood kids to see my first Frankenstein movie. I guess my parents must have been a little backward, or they would have sued the theater, the producers, and even the actors. As a kid, I'll bet I had PSTD at least once a month. When my first love jettisoned me, I had it for months!

Today, I read in the local paper where two protesters at last years G8 meeting in Evian, France are suing two police men who they say cut a rope on a bridge from which they were hanging. It seems that these two turkeys were hanging on each end of a rope strung across a bridge between Lausanne, Switzerland, and Evian, France. As part of clearing a blockade, the two police men (one spoke German and the other spoke French) cut the rope. One of the protesters suffered physical injury, but the other has PSTD.

My dear old dad told me as a very young kid that being part of a mob was likely to get me in trouble and/or hurt. He wasn't worried about PSTD because it and "pain and suffering" hadn't been dreamed up by the barristers yet.

I wouldn't bet the farm on a Swiss court being very sympathetic. The doctrine of personal responsibility is still recognized here. That Steven Wright blurb about 99% of all the lawyers giving the rest a bad name rings true.

No comments: