26 November 2006

Tipping

I happened upon a New York Times article that was a guide to tipping in the big city. Now, I am not what I consider to be a tightwad, and I have on some occasions enjoyed tipping someone who was of real help, or who just happened to be downright pleasant when they did not have to be. That said, I generally abhor tipping. I look upon it as a subsidy that I pay instead of an employer paying a decent wage. What's more, a once optional item has now become obligatory, at least in the USA.

Going by the NYT guide, I figured what an arrival by cab to a hotel in "The City" would cost if I came from the airport and had lunch after checking in. Figuring tips only after I was in the cab, it breaks down like this.

30$ for the cab plus 5.40$ tip (If a range was given as 15-20%, I split it)
1.50$ for doorman
4$ tip for bellboy (2 bags)
2$ for maid (per day)
4$ for concierge (dinner reservation for the evening. Up to 10$ for special services)
4.50$ for waiter at 25$ lunch
2$ for bar man (2 Martinis, about 9$ apiece--what else do you drink in Manhattan for lunch?)

So it costs me 23.40$ in tips for my first few hours. Then there will be a tip for the cab and the waiter at least that evening, so 40-50$ is not out of reach for the whole day, just in tips.

Now this is just for one person. Double the bags, lunch, and drinks, and close to 50-60$ isn't unrealistic. What did I get for all this? Likely, nothing! If I had tipped no one and gotten through the day still alive, these people would have done what I asked anyway.

So, who benefits from my involuntary donations? The employees usually pool tips in bars and restuarants. I don't know about bellboys, doormen, etc. The cab driver does not. The big winner here is the employer. He has me to subsidize his costs.

No comments: