16 November 2006

The Vent

The Vent is a series of columns in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. They appear six days a week. There are six vents, a living, a daily, a University of Georgia, a Georgia Tech, a general sports, a Braves baseball, and a Falcons NFL vent. Only the daily vent is, as expected, printed daily. The rest are on an as received basis.

A vent is a short (one or two sentences) comment on something. There is no publication of names, acknowledgements, etc. of a vent. They are emails mainly. A vent is just a way to ventilate one's feelings on any topic. I have seen no profanity, etc. so those must get put in the round file. There is a place to click to send your own vent in to them. I have been published three times.

A lot of vents have to do with local news, but many touch home on a wide variety of social and political aspects of life. About once a week, I find one that makes its way into my signature file. A lot of them are truly priceless bits of philosophy.

I think you have to sign up for the AJC to read the vents, but it is free. I use some dumb user name and an email address that I keep just for spam catching. I have never gotten spammed by the paper. The address for The Vent appears above.

No comments: